~ A wise man once said: I don't know, go ask a Woman!! ~

Monday, September 8, 2008

Souffle Anyone??... Rusting Recipe

I want to share a rusting recipe on found on line that ISN'T toxic like the old standard one used with bleach.
This one is very easy to use and will is not dangerous to use, unless you spill it on your carpet.. it will be rust colored..

Here it is:
One pint hydrogen peroxide
1/4 C Vinegar ( I use white)
2 TBLS. salt (table salt it fine)

Mix these three ingredients in a plastic bowl you don't use again, it will be rusted too!!! Stir with a plastic spoon until the salt is dissolved. Add your items to rust, bells, pins etc,.. They will start turning your solution brown in an hour or so, but you can leave them overnight or for several hours, which is what I do, you will get better results. When done drain, but DO NOT RINSE THE ITEMS OFF, then lay them out on a thick layer of paper towels or newspaper on an old cookie sheet, and let dry in the sun or air dry. If you need them like, NOW, I did put a batch in the oven for a quick dry at about 200* with the door ajar, but lay them on parchment paper not paper towels or newspaper in the oven. We don't want a fire!!! And be careful, them suckers get hot!!! NOTE!! And very important!!! They didn't tell me this, had to find out the hard way!!! See pictures below!!! Make sure you put your plastic container with the solution in it on an old cookie sheet with sides. This gets a good head of foam on the top and does overflow and will make a mess on your counter. It may not overflow in a larger container, but the foam gets pretty big!!! Also, I use an old whipped cream container to do my rusting, SAVE THE LID and punch some holes in the top, and use it to drain the items you have rusted, this will save your strainer or anything else you may use to drain them. I then clean them out and save it for the next batch. I have added pictures from when the foam forms to my end result. It is quick easy and non toxic, I'm sure you wouldn't want to drink it so keep it away from anyone that may do that!! But the bleach recipe if very toxic and can be very harmful to those that have respiratory issues. Have fun and good luck!!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

See what I mean by Souffle???

Photobucket

This is what they look like coming out of the solution. Keep them close together, don't know why, but they 'rust' better.

Photobucket

All dry and ready to use!!!
Now add them to your prim creations!!!
Have fun!!!

Photobucket

Adds just the right touch to anything PRIM!!!



6 comments:

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Hi Joleen,

Well, come on over ...for leftovers. I have plenty ! I love your blog.. I got lost in it !
I would love to swap blog addresses with you.
Thanks for the prim rusting recipe.
Hugs,
Linda

Caw of the Crow said...

How cool is that!!! I SO SO SO need rusty bells right now and don't want to pay the $$$ for them plus shipping!!! Will have to try this SOON!!! Your BLOG IS WONDERFUL!! I love it!!! YIPPIE!!
Have a blessed Day!!
Love, Gretchen

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

That is sooo much better than the bleach recipe - thanks so much!!

Tonya said...

Random acts of kindness include being nice and sharing with others! I hope it returns to you 3 fold!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for a non-toxic recipe!! Now, can you tell me how much is in a pint? lol.. Thanks!!

Cumberland Falls Arts by Debra and Mike Kersey said...

I shared a link to this on my blog, hope you don't mind. Looks like a wonderful recipe

Thanks so much for sharing

Deb