~ A wise man once said: I don't know, go ask a Woman!! ~

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Burn Baby Burn!!!

Hoping our dreams aren't going up in smoke!!!

It seems like it has been a very long time since my last post. So I thought I'd better get to it!! I just haven't been up to posting much lately, I know that with the shape our country is in right now it is effecting a lot of people, and yours truly isn't immune to it!! My hubby has been out of work for almost a month. He is an independent truck driver and relies on brokers to find him loads, he is legally blind in one eye, so has a restriction on his license and can only drive in Colorado ,in the winter months he hauls corn and in the summer works on road construction hauling asphalt. So when no corn is moving he isn't either, and he can only haul asphalt when there are road jobs working and in the winter in Colorado it is to cold for that. Needless to say, it has been very stressful on us and on him as the sole provider for our family. He really feels like he is letting us down. I have offered to go get a job, but then there aren't any jobs in a town this size and I sure can't make what we need to keep up. So he has sold a truck that he was so thrilled to be able to have. It was a classic Peterbilt, one like his dad drove when Joe was very young, and since Joe's dad died when Joe was only 11, he had a very soft spot for that truck. He was going to restore it and then drive it, but hard times mean some very hard decisions, he sold it to a very nice man in Iowa that collects and restores trucks and shows them, so we know it went to a good home and will more than likely be on the cover of a Trucking Magazine or on a calendar sometime in the near future, but that really didn't make it any easier to let go. So that took some pressure off for awhile, but that money will all go to bills and will soon be gone also, Joe has been trying to find work all over the place and hasn't had much luck. The price of corn is way down so the farmers aren't selling, which we understand, being a farm girl myself, the farmers have to look out for themselves as much as everyone else, if not more!! But it isn't doing us any good either. He is just sick with worry and so am I. And on top of all of this, I have been a mess, worry, stress, menopause!! lol!! I cry a lot and he just gives me my space but is very understanding also, so I can deal with my hormones!!! Have a said what a great guy he is?? So with all of this,neither one of us sleeps much anymore,but we try to make light of it and not let the kids know how worried we really are. They keep us sane at times like these. Thank God For Kids!!! SOOOO, since my honey isn't running up and down the road in his truck we have tackled the mountains of tumble weeds that found a home in our windbreak over the winter!! And apparently the wind blew a lot!! lol We raked and burned weeds for 5 hours the other day and still have a windbreak line to do. And since we are shamelessly out of shape, we both felt it the next day. It was good to get out in the fresh air and clear our heads for a bit. Ashley thought it was great fun to make the big fire!!!

Burn Baby Burn!!!

My honey watching over things, I wonder what he is thinking about!! I'm sure there are many worried thoughts going through his mind. I hope something breaks for him soon!! He is such a good man and hates not being able to work for us!! I really do think he feels like ours lives are going up in smoke also right now!! I know we will get through this rough patch, and hopefully will come out smelling like a rose not a burnt tumble weed!!! Hugs to you all!!!

9 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I feel for you Joleen...we are in the same boat, Stush worked in a steel mill and made good money. Now he will be 59 in two months and no job in sight, he works for a auto auction one day a week when they need him. I've been on the internet looking for retail jobs but there isn't anything and our town is also small so no jobs there either. We can only hope and pray, I'll keep you in my prayers:)
Rondell

Anonymous said...

I pray that your Hubby finds work soon!! You will be in my prayers!

Many Blessings......
Lori

big city prims said...

Jolene, the whole country is feeling it and it is scary and depressing. Even those with a job hope we still have one tomorrow. We can only hope and pray that we get through this as strong as possible...but your feelings are so real and shared with your blog buds and I hope that helps a little. I am thinking of you and all of our bloggies who are stressed to the max right now -- scared, worried, and sleepless. (That menopause thing -- well, even if you had a million in the bank right now-- trust me, you'd still be a mess. LOL. I was so HAPPY when that finally finished --made me nuts!)Will keep you in my prayers.

Gathering Hope said...

Joleen,
Keep your eyes fixed on Him. He will direct your path, and He will supply the need.
Thinking of you and your family.
xo
Sherry

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Joleen, my prayers are with you and your Hubby. I am retired as is my Hubby, but before we retired he worked in constuction and It was alway hard on him when he didn't have a job. He felt like he was letting us down. Times are tough now with the economy like it is.
Bless you.
Molly

Back in the Day said...

Joleen - I am very sorry to hear about your situation. My family is going through the same situation. I was laid off and it is making things very difficult over here! Blogging seems to be the thing to keep my mind busy though!
Nicole

The Primitive Bucket said...

Thank you all!!! I get strength from your support!! Let's hope it gets better for everyone very soon!!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Bless your hearts! I am so sorry that your hubby has had no work lately. I hope that changes soon.
Hang in there. Sending you all a special prayer & a hug.

Farmchick said...

Oh Joleen....I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I will pray for you all.